Some songs are only about music. Some others are only about words. Some are about atmosphere. There is no right or wrong. And even though this melody shines particularly through its atmosphere & lyrics, listen carefully and discover the mastery of faking monotony.And yes, this is the David Lynch. He sure did a good number on this one! The original song is pretty good as well (which should go without saying if David Lynch decided to touch it – and no, I’m not one of his fans, it’s just semi-objective reality [that’s another word for statistical reality]).
Mentatul 5×5 Focus
February 2019 Edition
– The Environment –
1. Nine years after such information was widely available, I finally got to understand just how insanely terrible sea shipping is for our planet. Consider that a single massive cargo ship puts out more cancer and asthma-causing pollutants than 50 million cars.
2. A 23.8 meters high wave was recorded in the Southern hemisphere. For reference, that’s about as high as a 6-stories building.
3. Ocean heat buildup is a major problem, one that is seriously underestimated.
4. In November 2016, the Environment Ministry of Japan warned that the country will produce 800,000 tons of solar waste by 2040, and it can’t yet handle those volumes. That same year, the International Renewable Energy Agency estimated that there were already 250,000 metric tons of solar panel waste worldwide and that this number would grow to 78 million by 2050.
5. Is global warming worrying you? Do you think we’ve run out of time? Well, here’s some good news. If we, as a species, would for once work together, we could actually achieve negative carbon emissions.
Faded and subdued chords accompany the relentless sound of time ticking (and picking) away at life, which is exactly what this melody is about. The song’s grayed-out beginning soon unveils an epic and diverse soundscape. Melancholic to the extreme (that voice!) and yet… so, damn, massive!
Despite it being a playful song from start to finish, there’s still a certain solemnity about it. Perhaps it’s the otherworldly chants and voices, or maybe it’s the thump’n’bass foundation. It’s a melody of delicate contrast. Dance the river sisters!
Despite the rock-solid beat, this piece is all about atmosphere, distortions, samples and clever orchestration. And despite all the bad news that the song brings, ears couldn’t be happier with such an action-packed ride.
De’licious is the first word that comes to my mind as I try to review this fabulous song. It’s a passionate feast of crescendo orchestration transporting a solemn voice. And isn’t it just awesome when great music comes with a great video too?
It’s one of the most beautiful creations I’ve had the pleasure of witnessing in 2018.